• Nick’s original composition Music & Laughter was performed during the 60th Anniversary concert of the Philharmonic Society of Selangor, which was held at the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre on 13-15 April, 2018. Music & Laughter, which was the theme of the celebrations, was commissioned by the Selangor Phil for the occasion.
• Nick held a fundraising concert to help raise money for his brother’s healthcare, in a two-night concert held at Harmony Hall PJ, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, in February 2018. Nick Choo & Friends: A Fundraiser was successful in raising the targeted amount of RM6,000 to help cover his brother’s medical costs due to diabetes-related complications.
• Selections of Nick’s music were presented in The Epic Journey, a fundraising concert held in May 2016 to raise funds for Nick’s move to Perth to pursue his doctorate. Check out the video clips under the Sonnets section on the Shakespeare page!
• Nick’s Christmas musical Follow The Light celebrated the 10th and 5th anniversaries of its Western Australian premiere (2005) and Malaysian debut (2015) respectively with concert performances on 28 & 29 Dec 2015.
• Nick’s songs were performed by the Level 2 BA(Hons) Musical Theatre students of Singapore’s LASALLE College of the Arts, in Journeys: The Music of Nick Choo (main picture). Nick was pianist, musical director and co-director, with further direction & design by Stefanos Rassios. Accompanying Nick were Seah Huan Yuh on violin and Chee Wah Yong on bass. Journeys ran at the Creative Cube @ LASALLE from 25-27 Nov 2015.
Joel Low & Ava Madon performing an early rendition of Dreams That Can’t Be Mine from the musical 2084:
The cast performing the title song from The Edge:
• Nick performed his first showcase of original songs from his musical theatre works in Dreaming Outside The Box: An Evening of Theatre Music by Nick Choo at No Black Tie, Kuala Lumpur, on 12 & 13 Aug 2015. Accompanying him were Malaysian performers Cheryl Tan, Stephanie Van Driesen and Peter Ong, with Rohnie Tan on violin and Tan Jen Wei on bass.
The repertoire comprised selections from Nick’s various shows, including full runs of the 10-minute musicals Cartography of a Relationship and Dreaming Outside The Box.
RELATED: Four in Fifty
Cheryl Tan performing This Can’t Be All, originally written for Esya: The Musical:
• Unofficial music video for Janet Lee’s Prisoner of Your Love, with music by Nick Choo and lyrics co-written with Lee, featured on her debut album Restless Heart (March 2015). Arranged by Tay Cher Siang. Photography by Wong Horng Yih; concert footage by Mogu Productions. Track produced by Starmount Records. Restless Heart is available on iTunes.
• Betapa Ceria Duniaku (How Bright Is My World), a commissioned choral piece for the AMIS International Girls Choir Festival, 2012. Music, lyrics and arrangements by Nick Choo.
• Trailer for Cium dan Segan Kali Infiniti, as featured in the Malay-language television series 8Jingga on Malaysia’s NTV7 channel in 2007. Also check out the full song below:
Tidak Berteman, as featured in 8Jingga on Malaysia’s NTV7 in 2007. Video clip (low resolution) as well as full song below:
• Australian singer and motivational speaker Jason Stephenson performs Nick’s original song Joy Unto My Soul on the Susie show, Channel 9, Australia; August 2007: